The iClock is a synchronizable, high-precision clock synthesizer which is designed to be the reference in digital audio and video studios as well as broadcast stations. Based on a totally new concept of frequency generation, developed by MUTEC, the unit offers an unchallanged flexibility for synchronization of different devices to one house clock. On this occasion iClock breaks traditional and unflexible forms of chaining input and output signals and allows for the first time their completely free combination and scalability.
- Synchronizable reference clock synthesizer for PAL/NTSC video, Word Clock, AES11 and S/P-DIF syncs
- High-accurate and lowest-jitter clock base with < 0.1ppm accuracy (when shipped)
- Redundant (fail-safe) clock supply in all operation modes
- DDS-based jitter elimination of incoming reference signals
- Synchronization and generation of 36 different Word Clocks rates
- DSD64, DSD128 + DXD clock rates standardly supported
- Synchronization and generation of all AES3/11 and S/P-DIF clock rates up to 192.0 kHz
- Generation of different pilot tones
- No limitation of input assignment at the universal inputs
- SoftReLock functionality for recurring reference signals
- CYCLESYNC functionality for automatic re-synchronization between different references
- Generation of multiple clock rates at the same time
- Drop out compensation of incoming reference signals
- Totally free scalability of all output clock signals
- Automatically working signal management aligned to AES11 and EBU R83
- Digital varispeed up to ±20% availabel during internal and external synchronization
- Supports all US and European pull up/pull down rates for film, audio and video transfers
- Follows external references up to ±20 % (reducible)
- Eeasy and convenient operation through large display
- Soft and hardware upgradeability and recalibratability
- Front panel lock-out for preventing misuse
- Built-in, internationally useable power supply
The iClock’s principle operation is completely different to conventional products. The user, as a matter of priority, defines the clock rates and formates which have to be constantly available at the outputs without any disturbances not depending on the incoming reference signals. Limitations regarding defined combinations of input and output clock signals do not exist.
The iClock's philosophy is addressed to provide the highest possible failure safety for all outgoing clock signals which is needed especially for broadcast stations or centralized clock distribution systems. With regards to this functionality up to 3 independent external references can be auto-detected and locked in a user-defined sequence without any phase-jumps or interruptions in the outgoing signals. This applies also to external clock frequency changes, e.g. from 44.1 kHz to 48.0 kHz or reference clock changes, e.g. from video to GPS or AES11. Even a manual change of the reference signal by replugging the clock lines at the input connectors is possible during operation!. If all external references are lost, the iClock synthesizes the outgoing clock signals based on the last incoming frequency constantly. This applies also if a reference signal drifts out of the lock range. If the absent reference clock returns the synthesizer will lock gradually again based on iClock's SoftReLock functionality which ensures interruption-free adjustments of all outgoing clock signals. In this case a continuously clock supply for all connected devices is guaranteed during any operation mode.
Using DDS-coupled frequency generation and latest DSP-based filtering technologies in combination with an extremely low-jitter clock basis, the iClock eliminates the jitter of incoming reference signals completely. This ensures highest possible jitter attenuation for all outgoing clock signals. As a result the synchronization of connected devices is much more reliable and the sound quality of every AD/DA converter will be increased significantly.
For todays A/V productions a precision synchronization of the used audio and video equipment is imperative. To reach the maximum of accuracy for synchronization of audio and video equipment, iClock offers a unique, high-precision signal management. The phase relationships of all input and output signals will be observed and adjusted in real-time automatically, aligned to AES11-1997/2003 und EBU R83-1996. This process reaches a control accuracy in the nanosecond range!
Due to requirements of todays professional A/V studios, iClock offers in its basic version a variety of clock outputs with variable adjustable parameters. In the case that often devices of different generations have to work together, especially the status bit settings of the AES11 and S/P-DIF outputs are individually adjustable in different parameters.
As for future standards of digital audio technologies iClock offers already today an unequalled variety of synchronizable and generatable Word Clock rates. On this occasion the system does not limit to the currently “highest” clock rate of 192.0 kHz, but it supports a total of 36 different clock rates up to 24.576 MHz(!). Included are so-called Super Clocks for Digidesign’s ProTools™ system as well as DSD and DXD clock rates for SACD mastering applications. Due to iClock’s unique principle of frequency generation all clock rates can be routed to the Word Clock outputs individually.
iClock provides standardly all pull up and pull down factors for audio, video and film transfers. As well as a powerful a digital varispeed function. That can be used to accommodate a playback to the pitch of the singers voice or to generate new pull up/pull down rates. As for simultaneous editing of PAL and NTSC based video material, a second video generator is available as an upgrade. Both generators are adjustable independently and can be locked to any accepted incoming reference signal. Furthermore an alarm interface is optionally available to observe different possible failure conditions, like reference clock loses or power supply loses, from a centralized location.
Investment into your Future
Due to its unique concept, iClock is not only oriented on current requirements of digital audio and video techniques. With their trend-setting features and software and hardware upgradability it is also usable for future technology standards. Thus iClock represents a long-term investment for every modern A/V studio.
Regarding many unique features like
- synchronizing and generating of all Word Clock rates from 8.0 kHz to 24.576 MHz (DSD and DXD clock rates included),
- generating PAL and NTSC composite video sync simultaneously,
- free scalability of all clock outputs,
- automatic locking up to 3 different external references,
- generation of different film and video frame clock rates,
- digital varispeed up to ±20 %,
- automatic programming of new clock rates on customer's request,
- real-time phase-correction of all outgoing clock signals,
- soft and hardware upgradability and recalibratability,
- 1 x XLR input for AES3/11, 110 ohms terminated, transformer balanced
- 2 x BNC input for various references, 75 ohms terminated, unbalanced
- 4 x XLR output for AES3/11, terminated, transformer balanced, buffered
- 8 x BNC outputs for Word Clock, terminated, unbalanced, individually buffered
- 4 x BNC outputs for video, terminated, unbalanced, individually buffered
- 2 x Cinch (coaxial) output for S/P-DIF, terminated, unbalanced, buffered
All digital audio inputs and outputs work between 16.0 kHz and 192.0 kHz.
Frequency Synthesis and Basis Clock Generation
- Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS), 172,8 MHz internal clock rate, 48 bits frequency resolution
- TCXO, temprature compensated crystal oscillator, burned-in and pre-aged
- Clock accuracy (shipped): < ±0,1 ppm
- Clock stability versus temperature: < ±0,5 ppm
- Operating temperature: 0° C to +50 °C
- Type: Internal, self-switching power supply
- Input Voltage: 90 V – 260 V (automatic adjustment), 47 Hz – 440 Hz
- Power Consumption: max. 15 W
- Cover size/material/color: 440 x 42 x 200 mm (dp version 240 mm) without connectors (W x H x D), steel sheet 1 mm, black powder-coated
- Front panel size/material/surface: 483 x 44 x 3 mm (W x H x D), aluminium, powder-coated
- Weight: iClock approx. 3000 g, iClockdp approx. 3100 g
… MUTEC’s iClock offers all technologies and the most versatile concept for future-oriented reference generation already today!